Tuesday, February 7, 2012

L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow Review

 One of the new drugstore products that has created a lot of buzz on the internet is the L'Oreal Infallible eye shadows. I've read a lot of really good reviews on these already, so I'm going to try and keep mine short and sweet. If you want to read a more detailed review, there's a really good one here.

I've gotten all of mine at CVS. In my town, they currently retail for $8.29.





Overall, I really like these shadows, and I think L'Oreal did a good job with the color range for this collection. It has a good mix of neutral and darker/brighter shades. They last well on me when I use a primer. I haven't tried them without just because I automatically use primer as part of my routine and don't feel the need to cut that step.

So far, I own Endless Pearl, Iced Latte, Amber Rush, and Eternal Sunshine.

Swatches done with one swipe using my fingers (no primer was used):

Endless Pearl and Iced Latte

Endless Pearl and Iced Latte
Eternal Sunshine and Amber Rush
Eternal Sunshine and Amber Rush

So far, the only shade that I'm not really happy with is Endless Pearl. Every time I've tried to use it, it has looked cakey and patchy. I haven't completely given up on it yet though, so if you have any tips for me, please feel free to share.

One thing that has been a bit of a learning curve with these is what to use to apply them. The flat shader brushes that I use most of the time don't seem to want to pick up these shadows. After doing some experimenting with the other brushes that I have, it seems that fluffier brushes with tapered bristles do a better job of picking up product with these. I have also had good results applying with my fingers and with sponge tip applicators (I knew there were a reason I kept those around).

Brushes like this did not work for me (sorry they are dirty):


The brush on the left is from Lumiere Cosmetics, but it is no longer on the site. The brush on the right is from Everyday Minerals, and it can be found here.

These brushes worked:


The brush on the left is from an Eco Tools brush set that I bought at Wal-Mart. You can see the set here (it apparently isn't carried everywhere, and I can't even find it on Eco Tools website). The other two brushes are from the Studio Tools line found at Target. The one on the left is the medium shadow brush, and the one on the right is the smudge brush. Please note: They have made changes in the Studio Tools brushes, so I don't know if these newer versions work the same as the ones I have.

If you haven't checked these out yet, I would highly recommend picking one up. If you have these already, how do you apply them? What works best for you?

4 comments:

  1. I've been using the navy one as an eyeliner - it works really well, and it's super pretty.

    I've thought about picking up some of the lighter shades because the formula is so nice, but they're really all very similar to other eyeshadows I have, so I don't know if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to pick up one of the darker ones as a liner shade, so I'm glad to know it works well for you. I have some ExtraBucks to use, so maybe I'll grab the navy one and give it a try.

      Delete
  2. I have Iced Latte and love it as a highlight color! I do want to pick up some more colors eventually. I guess I haven't had any problems with brushes, but I've been using a "fluffier" on like the ones you showed worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iced Latte is gorgeous, but it's a lid color for me. LOL I was glad I had read on another blog about people having issues using brushes with these. I would have been really confused/frustrated if I hadn't had the heads up since the brushes that I normally use for my lid color are the ones that didn't work.

      Delete