Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Tarte Cream Shadow in Slate - Review and Swatch

 Disclaimer: All products mentioned in this post were purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

I don't know about all of you, but I tend to fall into makeup ruts. In particular, I automatically reach for my powder products when it comes to eyes and cheeks, so I creams tend to sit unloved. It's really a shame, since I have some nice ones in my collection.

Back on Black Friday, I picked up the Tarte Balanced & Beautiful Amazonian Kit, which came with a full size of the original Flush shade of their Amazonian clay blush, a cream shadow in Slate, and an eye shadow brush. It was a fantastic deal! Slate had been ignored because it is a bit darker than I normally use for a lid color. Thankfully, I got over my hesitation and tried it the other day.

Price: $19 for the Balanced & Beautiful Amazonian Kit or for the individual shadow (I told you the kit was a fantastic deal)

Packaging



Tarte's cream shadows come in sturdy glass jars. It looks like the individually sold ones have a square base instead of the round base like this one, but the actual opening for the product looks to be the same. I personally wish the opening was a bit bigger. It's a little hard to get a normal-sized shadow brush in there and run it across the product.

I really like the fact that the sticker on top of the jar indicates the shade in the jar, making it easy to identify what color it is without looking for an actual shade name. However, the shade name is printed on the bottom of the jar, and since the jar it clear, it is also easy to identify the shade if you store your cream shadows upside down, like I tend to do.

Product


Tarte describes Slate as a shimmering silver, but I would consider it more of a grey-taupe shade that makes a really pretty soft, smoky eye. 

I really like the formula of these cream shadows. They aren't too soft or too hard. It is easy to get opaque color with it, but it also blends out well along the edges. Work quickly though. It doesn't take too much time before this shadow sets and isn't going to budge.

I did a wear test the other day over Urban Decay Primer Potion, and it didn't crease at all. I had some fading around the center of my eyelids somewhere around the 8-10 hour mark, but it really wasn't anything that was obvious until I stared at myself closely in the mirror.

Final Thoughts

 I actually like this shade a lot more than I thought I would, and the formula is fantastic. If you like the look of it yourself, I would highly suggest the Balanced & Beautiful set, since you get two extra products for the same price as buying the individual shadow.

Have you tried any of Tarte's cream shadows? What do you think? Do you tend to ignore your cream shadows or blushes like I do?

Disclaimer: All products mentioned in this post were purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. It looks really nice! Kind of reminds me of Maybelline's Bad to the Bronze. Great review! :)

    www.natalielovesbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it is somewhere between Bad to the Bronze and Tough as Taupe. It isn't as brown as Bad to the Bronze, but it isn't as grey as Tough as Taupe. Thanks for mentioning the comparison. I didn't even think about it.

      Delete