Sunday, November 10, 2013

Too Faced A Few of My Favorite Things Palette - One of My Favorite Things

Disclaimer: All products mentioned in this post were purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

I haven't had very good luck with Too Faced eye shadow palettes. I've only tried a couple of them, but I wasn't overly impressed.

When I saw their A Few of My Favorite Things Palette pop up on Sephora.com, I couldn't resist giving it a try. With its mix of mostly light to medium neutrals and a few pops of color, it's something I think I would get a lot of use out of it. 

Price

This palette retails for for $56 and is a Sephora exclusive. It comes with 20 eye shadows, 2 blushes, 2 bronzers, 1 Lip Injection Color Bomb!, 1 mini Better Than Sex mascara, a clutch, and a look book. That breaks down to about $2 an item. 

Packaging


The clutch included with the set has a pink and gold chevron print and is big enough to hold the rest of the items in the kit. 







The palette itself has the same pink chevron print. It isn't overly decorated or bulky like some of Too Faced's past palettes. It has a magnetic closure. This is a little bulky for taking on short trips, but it would give nice variety for a longer vacation. I wouldn't feel comfortable just throwing it into a bag, but I would be comfortable taking it with some careful packing.



I'm going to go ahead and include this as part of the packaging. Just like with their other palettes, Too Faced included a look book. While I don't always use them, I love the thought behind it. These types of palettes can be overwhelming, so giving people a place to start with looks is a great addition.

Product

Eye Shadows





Row 1 swatches (from left to right): Snowflakes, Whiskers on Kittens, Milk Chocolate, Moon on Their Wings, Dark Chocolate

Snowflakes is a shimmery cream shade with a subtle gold tone.
Whiskers on Kittens is a soft pink/peach shade with sparse gold glitter.
Milk Chocolate is a matte, cool-toned medium brown.
Moon on Their Wings is a champagne shade with chunky glitter.
Dark Chocolate is a matte, cool-toned dark brown.


Here's a close-up shot of Whiskers on Kittens to show the gold glitter that doesn't show up in the wider shot. I haven't actually tired this shade yet, but I don't think I'm going to like it because I dislike Peach Fuzz (look below for comparison swatches). The base color is too sheer, and the gold glitter is too sparse.


Another close-up, this time of Moon on Their Wings to show the chunky glitter in it. I haven't used it yet, and I'll wait until I have a day at home when I can test it out because I have a feeling I'll end up looking like a fairy threw up on me.


Row 2 swatches from left to right: Cream Colored Ponies, Honey Honey, Buche de Noel, Evergreen, Blue Satin Sashes

Cream Colored Ponies is a matte cream shade that leans slightly yellow.
Honey Honey is a shimmery gold shade that leans slightly bronze.
Buche de Noel is a shimmery medium brown that has a bit of a green undertone.
Evergreen is a shimmery forest green shade.
Blue Satin Sashes is a gorgeous matte navy with multi-colored glitter.


Row 3 swatches from left to right: Coquet, Taffy, Crisp Apple Strudel, Woolen Mittens, and Soiree.

Coquet is a soft pink with a golden sheen.
Taffy is a cool-toned baby pink shade with a subtle satin finish.
Crisp Apple Strudel is a cool-toned shimmery brown.
Woolen Mittens is a medium-toned grey-brown shade that is matte.
Soiree is a burgundy shade with fine, multi-colored glitter.


Row 4 swatches from left to right: Tinsel, Bluff, Ooh La Orchid, Party Time, and Pure Glam

Tinsel is a shimmery sage green.
Bluff is a satin finish blue-based purple.
Ooh La Orchid is a bright matte purple that leans more red than it appears in my pictures.
Party Time has a sheer blue base with tons of fine blue shimmer. I haven't tried it yet, but it is gorgeous, and will be a really fun layering color.
Pure Glam is a matte black with lots of multi-colored glitter.


Here's a close up of Party Time to show off the shimmer of it better. Like I said, it's gorgeous!

One of the things that I haven't seen mentioned in the reviews I've read of this palette is that there are several shades that are nearly identical to other Too Faced shades from previous palettes. I don't have a lot of Too Faced Palettes, but I found several nearly identical shades when I compared the shades in this palette with the shades that were in the Glamourland palette from a couple of years ago.


Swatches from left to right: Tinsel, Honeymoon, Whiskers on Kittens, Peach Fuzz, Cream Colored Ponies, In the Buff, Coquet, and Silk Sheets.

Tinsel is the same depth but less yellow than Honeymoon. Whiskers on Kittens leans a little more pink than Peach Fuzz. Cream Colored Ponies has that yellow undertone whereas In the Buff is more of a pure cream shade. Coquet and Satin Sheets are essentially identical to my eyes.

Face Products



Swatches from left to right: Raindrops on Roses, Melt into Spring, Chocolate Soleil, and Sun Bunny.

Raindrops on Roses is a bright, cool-toned pink with gold shimmer.
Melt into Spring is a matte, muted coral shade.
Chocolate Soleil is a matte medium-toned bronzer. If you don't know about this bronzer, it has real cocoa in it, so it smells like chocolate. Yum!
Sun Bunny is a shimmery bronzer that leans warmer than Chocolate Soleil.

Extras




Included with the palette is a full-size Lip Injection Color Bomb! in the shade Bee Stung (exclusive to this set), which is a nude pink. This is a plumping lip product, and the stinging is INTENSE. I've only used it once so far, and I'm not overly tempted to use it again. If you have sensitive lips, I would avoid using this.


The set also comes with a mini Better Than Sex mascara. I haven't used this yet because I already have a couple of mascaras that I'm using right now. That's why I don't have a picture of the brush; I didn't want to open the tube yet. The brush has traditional bristles and an hourglass shape.

Final Thoughts

So far, I'm really happy with this palette. I haven't tried all of the shadows yet, but there are only two that seem to be duds (in my opinion) - Whiskers on Kittens and Moon on Their Wings. The mixtures of neutrals and brights along with the mixture of finishes makes it easy to create a variety of looks. The face products are a nice addition as well. Chocolate Soleil is a cult classic. I personally have to be a little careful when applying it, but I can make it work. If you can deal with the intensity of the lip product, you have can create a full face look with this one set.

There's only one more day left for the Sephora VIB sale, so if you've got a code and haven't ordered yet, I would suggest picking this set up.

Are you picking this set up? Did you take part in the Sephora VIB sale? I'm skipping out on it because I think I've got all of the holiday sets I really want (even though I would like to pick up some other ones).

Disclaimer: All products mentioned in this post were purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I love the lookbooks too. I never know how to use these palettes. Nice swatches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It seems like companies are figuring out that lookbooks are great to have because more and more palettes seem to have them.

      Delete